Over the past few weeks we have been re-organizing our life. I came to the conclusion one day as I had two kids screaming and wrapped around my legs another one in time out and the oldest one declaring boredom that I needed to make a change. I wasn't sure what that change was but I knew God would lead me to it because he had put the idea and thought on my heart and in my brain. I was beginning to feel completely overwhelmed and at the end of my rope. I knew God would never give me anything I couldn't handle and that he had a purpose for blessing us with triplets but at the time I was more frustrated and pooped to realize anything let alone what a blessing it is. I had begun to take my frustration out on the kids which I realized right away and knew right then and there that I needed to change. I spent time in prayer and in the Word and I knew it was the time....I was trying to be supermom and it just wasn't working for me!
The first thing we did was implement structure back into our routine....having Emma home changed the dynamic we had when she was in school all day...Roger helped me reorganize the playroom into a "classroom" so that we could have "school" time throughout the day and we moved 80% of our toys to the basement. The kids loved going through my old classroom decorations and hanging them up in the room....we had a great time making a "new room" and then they were able to surprise daddy when he came home...very fun! Having the basement as that extra space for the kids to go has been a wonderful thing....because when they would have quiet time in their room the triplets usually ended up going into Emma's room and what would start out as nice play would end up with someone screaming. So far this has helped me tremendously...giving them more structured activities has allowed me to get things done! I can clean now and fold laundry! I was so overwhelmed because NOTHING was getting done and everything was so backed up and those of you who know me well know I do not like this....I am for all intents a purposes Monica Geller's clone..I totally am and admit it freely! and it's funny...I was able to maintain my "monicaness" when we only had one child....but having the triplets has really mellowed me out and I have had to let go of some of my "monicaness" or I would be in the loony bin in a padded room! Roger is so calm...cool and collected....he really balances me out! He's so awesome..(swoon swoon) He really is...he is such a wonderful father to our children and an amazing husband...and helps me so much...I thank God for him and bringing him into my life...I can't imagine doing this without him and I can't believe we will be celebrating 10 wonderful years of marriage next week!! Time flies!! Now......back to my craziness :-) I still am the hand sanitizer queen...but much less of a neat freak...well.....a little anyway....baby steps :-) ...once a germaphobe always a germaphobe :-) Yes...I am one of those moms who practically sets off a lysol bomb when colds and stomach bugs hit our house...our washing machine starts to wave the white flag by day two! But once you are covered in throw up multiple times in one night you tend to let go of things and yes...once I actually just threw away a fitted sheet...it was necessary....the level of nastiness was beyond my level and the one who would normally take care of such measures was in fact throwing up just as much if not more than the one who slept on puked on said sheet....when it is 2am and I have a sick hubby and three sick kids all puking at the same time and two of them miss the bucket a few times....all while trying to tell them to throw up quietly so they don't wake the fourth child who some how miraculously never got the bug and slept through the whole fiasco! yes...desperate times call for desperate measures.....it really does calm one down...when so many are sick...you just have to go with it...."it is what it is" Anyway....I am off track....having these few moments to myself each day has been great for me as a mom but we have also done so many fun new projects together through out the day and they love helping me with the laundry and cooking etc...which they always have but now since they are older I have given them more to do on their own and they LOVE it! Taking the laundry up and putting the towels in the closet is fun...for now hee hee!! and the kids love having some quiet time....the little ones especially love it when Emma reads to them....we made a fun little reading nook with some body pillows....it is so fun as a mom to watch them.....and God has shown me that I can do it even when I feel like I can't.....a friend once told me "God's got THIS and EVERYTHING" and it is something I think of each time I have a day when I am not on my game.....one day at a time....having four kids is a major blessing and I can't imagine my life without them now!
So on to some funny things that have happened along way....
Henry finally pooped on the potty!!! I know I know TMI! But really this was a hurtle that I thought we would never get over....no amount of candy or cheering was working.....but now I can finally say.....THE TRIPLETS ARE POTTY TRAINED! What a process...started last November...the girls are and have been done since February but our little Buddy took his time and I had heard that boys take longer so I was in it for the long hall....YAY! We did it! I have also found that if we relate everything to a super hero we are golden with Henry! I find myself saying: Spiderman always eats all of his breakfast....Captain America doesn't take of all his clothes and run around naked.....Superman sleeps till at least 7am! I know...pushing my luck but I had to try! :-)
Anna has been having horrific nosebleeds lately I think from the dry hot air....and because of this she insists on carrying a paper towel with her EVERYWHERE just in case....so I being all cool about stuff now and no longer the uptight mom I used to be let her carry one when we got out...in the car....to the store...to church....OY! Just in case she is prepared. The other night at 3am I hear "Daddy Come On!" in a whisper....at first I think it is just a dream then I hear it again..so I look up and standing at the bedroom door is Anna....a tiny little dark shadow....hair six ways for sunday...kind of looking like a little ghostly figure....calling to us in an ever persistent whisper which gets more and more agitated each time she says it...so Roger goes over to her....she is obviously asleep but very determind to have a paper towel...so Roger in his sleepiness takes her to the bathroom to which she says "NO DADDY! PAPER TOWEL!" So Roger gives her a piece of toilet paper and off she goes back to bed not be heard from again until 6...which is a whole other story...I love summer but when it starts to get light at 5am and two of my kids are up with the sun...it gets old fast! Bring on the fall and dark mornings! I was almost to the point of putting black trash bags in their windows...behind the room darkening curtains...but I didn't go that far...It is nice to have children at the age where you can communicate with them...I told them stay in bed until mommy comes and gets you...it worked for a while...now they just sleep with me since Roger is up and out by 5:30..I figure it really isn't a bad habit....it's morning and we get a few more winks....even with a foot jammed up my back and an arm across my face! It really is fun snuggle time :-)
Last week I decided to test my new found mommy courage by taking everyone to Target and Trader Joe's! We had been to the mall for lunch the week before and that went well...my only snag which was a small one was that they all announced they had to go to the bathroom just as I had unpacked all their meals and put straws in juice boxes...for a moment I panicked...what in the world was I going to do....I am alone and I only had enough sanitizing wipes to wipe off the table...a bathroom visit had was not on my agenda!! Now...mind you we went before we left and I asked them before we ordered if anyone had to go....oh well.....kids bladders have their own agenda I guess....So I packed everything up went back over the the Chick Fil A counter and the women there were so nice...they "watched" our food while I took EVERYONE to the bathroom....it all worked out and I really did feel proud of the day! We did it...Now back to last week....it went well...I love taking them shopping...Anna has a tendency to sneak things into the cart....sweet things! So I sneak them back onto the shelves...but we did it and were home in 2 hours! It's not easy but we have fun and it is great just get out!
God is showing me how to be relaxed and just have faith in Him....such a simple thing Faith...and Fear for that matter...I think they go hand in hand....at least for me.....I can let my imagination really get the best of me.....and boy can we let our "flesh" control us.....God will never give us anything we can't handle through Him....Roger and I never in a million years thought we have triplets plus one....but God gave us such an amazing blessing and I thank Him each day for my precious babies! I can't wait to see what He is going do to through them as they continue to grow know Him and learn more about Him.....and he is teaching Roger and I so much as we continue this journey! ...God give me strength! It is amazing what you can do!!!

making it through potty training with three kids at one time is enough to deserve a gold medal, much less all the other stuff you survive!! Whew, girl, you are amazing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Amber! It is such an adventure most days!! :-)
Delete